Cost reduction & patient experience !!
Few cases we have encountered till date
Blue ocean strategy – We were impressed by the teleshow that came on bbc uk edition featuring Dr. Devi Shetty of Narayana Hrudayalaya, rightly called the Henry Ford of heart surgery; Not having inferior health because there’s less money, but actually getting more out of the system for less resource. And you’ve shown us a model here by which we can do this. Business secretary wanting to take coal to Newfoundland. Excellent public relations.
High quality at low cost – Value Innovation, the essence of Blue Ocean Strategy
Nova Medical center – a breath of fresh air – Blue ocean with economies of scale; going beyond conventional boundaries; ambulatory surgery.
Let us try to throw some light on how the Blue Ocean Strategy can make a difference to small hospitals. Rarely do we get to see owner-driven hospitals offering value innovation to patients?
1. Get your organization strategy canvas in place – this difficult task requires extensive brainstorming
3. Determining the attributes on which the hospital industry competes on
2. Follow the strategy sequence correct – offer a compelling value proposition to patients; remove all adoption barriers first.
3. Tipping point leadership – how to influence your people and management team to think beyond conventional wisdom
To start with, some exercises around the four action framework would help.
Eliminate factors that the industry takes for granted
- Outpatient registration desk can be converted to a self-service kiosk
Reduce factors well below the industry’s standard
- Bystander dependency
- High value inventory / cost
Raised factors well above the industry’s standard
- Patient education
- Nursing care
- OT safety procedures
- Room hygiene
- Transparency in billing procedures
Which factors should be created that the industry has never offered
- Spacious seating arrangements
- Patient-centric workflow
- Avenues of relaxation for bystanders
- Health food courts
Do you have an idea to contribute?