Technology adoption in healthcare is at a nascent stage in India. From small business practices to industry leaders technology conversations revolve around cloud computing, artificial intelligence, big data analytics, Internet of Things (IoT), digital imaging, machine learning and 3D printing. Reflections of these emerging fast paced technologies are also visible in the Indian healthcare space in the form of :
- IoT-enabled wearables to monitor health
- AI-enabled predictive analytics to predict diseases
- Mobile technologies for remote patient monitoring
- Telemedicine and advanced imaging-enabled technologies to address lack of specialist doctors in remote and rural areas
- Drone-enabled technologies to improve medicine availability
- Secured sharing of health data
As per various global digital IQ surveys conducted by research organizations, 31% of the global healthcare executives rated AI as the most disruptive tech in the industry while 64% of the Indian executives say they have already invested in IoT. Adoption of AI & IoT among Indian healthcare providers is higher for driving care delivery and customer experience than improving operational excellence. IoT technologies are being widely adopted in India, here are some of the IoT use case scenarios happening in innovative Indian hospitals.
Some hospital chains in India have now implemented IoT sensors in ambulances to track patients’ vitals and share them in real time with the healthcare ecosystem so that physicians can analyse the vitals and make the necessary preparations for the treatment before patient reaches the hospital.
ICU vitals monitoring
A leading hospital in India has been running a pilot programme for the last two years on 10 ICU beds, whereby IoT sensors attached to beds detect spikes in patient vitals on a continuous basis, triggers alarm when approaching a threshold and keep the data ready in the form of insightful dashboards for physician visits.
A leading hospital in India has implemented IoT-based location awareness technology. Patients have to download a mobile application which connects to beacons placed all across the hospital. The beacons detect a patient’s location and guide them from Point A to Point B by giving detailed turn-by-turn navigation. The same technology also has the potential of locating assets placed in the hospital.
Patient remote monitoring
Critical care at home is picking up in India with dozens of companies providing ICU facilities and critical care treatments at home. Through this the service provider ensures that the patient’s vitals are continually recorded using IoT devices; the vitals are then transmitted to physicians at their treating hospital. Remote monitoring also assists in triggering automated alarms to physicians, ambulance service providers and patient’s family members in cases of emergency.
Technology is the best way to achieve the vision of a connected healthcare ecosystem. In order to equip our clients to be future-ready in the IoT healthcare space, our inhouse IoT team has developed various healthcare IoT products consisting of sensors, gateways & data visualization tools designed for innovative hospitals.
Our IoT solutions map the following user scenarios in an hospital :
- Monitor indoor air quality inside critical areas – OT & ICU
- Monitor temperature, humidity inside server rooms, waiting halls, labs, blood banks.
- Monitor harmful gas presence inside hospital premises
- Monitor the performance condition of high priced hospital & lab equipment
- Track patient/ staff movement within the hospital premises
- Track movement of equipment such as portable scanning machines, wheel chairs, stretchers etc. across departments
- Ensure staff are well sanitized before entering OT and other critical areas.
- Monitor power wastage across departments.
- Restricting unauthorized access to particular areas.
It is of utmost surety that the healthcare technologies will help India to leapfrog the healthcare infrastructure problems and provide cost-effective and scalable solutions to make it a global healthcare destination.